A baby’s skin is ultra-soft, sensitive and prone to infections. The baby’s skin needs to be cared for well, with proper precautions taken at all times. Every season brings new challenges for mothers as the demands for every weather differ from the previous one.
What you need to do in summer would be contrasting to your resorts for winter in taking care of your little one’s skin. Since new seasons bring in new challenges every time, here is a guide to help you sail through a happy and healthy skincare regime for your little bundle of joy.
How to Protect Your Baby’s Skin in Summers?
Scorching summers can take a huge toll on your little one’s skin. It can leave them irritable, uncomfortable, and cranky. You might notice constant sweat, rashes on the skin, wet hair due to perspiration, flushed cheeks, all of which result from the heat waves in the hot summer months. To avoid these, you need to ensure that the baby’s skin remains cool and comfortable at all times.
For this, you need to take care of the following:
- Sweat is common during summers, and the best resort to this is to bathe your child at least twice a day during this period. This would ensure a comfortable sleep too. However, while bathing your baby, make sure the water is lukewarm so that the folds like armpits and the baby’s neck are cleaned properly.
- Make sure to make your child wear breathable fabrics like pure cotton clothes during summers. Using synthetic clothes can cause rashes and discomfort too.
- Keep your baby hydrated at all times. Even if he does not sweat much, he might be losing water from the body in other forms. However, babies below the age of six months should not be given water, and they should be kept on mother’s feed alone.
- Avoid exposing the child to direct sun, but if you happen to go out with your baby, make them wear full sleeves and full bottoms made of light cotton fabric. You can even use a wide-brimmed hat to cover the baby’s heat from direct heat.
- Avoid taking the baby out in a pram, sling, or baby carrier, as this would make the baby feel hot and sweaty.
How to Protect Your Baby’s Skin in Winters?
A baby’s skin is prone to moisture loss, just like the adults, making the skin feel dry and scratchy during winters. They have a more sensitive and delicate exterior and need even more care.
Here are some tips to soothe the baby’s skin during the cold, chilly, and dry winter months and avoid dryness, flakiness, and even eczema (red, scaly dry patches)
- Always choose more natural, chemical-free products to moisturise your baby’s skin like the ones by Lotus Herbals. They have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, made out of natural ingredients, without using any harsh chemicals, that heal the child’s skin against rashes and dryness naturally.
- Make sure to massage your baby with a herbal oil like Lotus herbals baby oil that promotes blood circulation, strengthens the muscles, and keeps the skin soft and bouncy.
- Use a soft, chemical-free baby soap for your child, like the Lotus Herbals Shower kit with an all-natural liquid shower gel that keeps the baby’s skin supple while deep-cleaning it. It locks the moisture while keeping dryness and eczema away.
- Keep the child’s skin well moisturised with an organic product all day through to avoid dryness, irritation, flakiness, and scratchiness. This means you need to apply lotion every 3-4 hours to keep the skin well hydrated.
- Use a room humidifier instead of a heater, as it can make your little munchkin’s skin dry and rob it of moisture.
- If your child is prone to eczema, you need to hydrate them from within. It would help if you breastfed them more often. However, if the child has started having solid food, you can include more soups and water in their diet to keep the skin well moisturised and hydrated and to drive eczema away.
How to Protect Baby’s Skin during Monsoons?
The rainy monsoon months may bring a calm and soothing effect and get rashes, skin infections, nappy rashes, and pus boils. It can be a rollercoaster ride of temperature drops and rises, making the little one feel hot and humid at one moment and then leaving them feeling cold and damp the very next moment. Hence, an infant’s skin needs more attention and care during the monsoon months. Some tips to protect their delicate skin during the shower season are:
- Cleanse your baby’s skin regularly to keep bacterial infections at bay.
- Moisture the child’s skin with a natural, chemical-free lotion to handle dryness during the rainy months.
- Massage your baby’s skin with a vitamin-E-rich baby massage oil to protect its softness and to keep it healthy all day long.
- Use soft, comfortable fabrics, like warm woollens, that keep the baby comfortable and cosy and prevent them from mosquito/insect bites.
- It is better to layer the child up from the top with a warm jacket or light sweater when they feel cold and use light, breathable fabrics on the inside otherwise.
- Diaper rashes are caused due to wetness around that area. So, keep the area dry and use a nappy rash cream to treat the issue.
- The rainy season is when mosquitoes and insects breed. The little ones are most prone to insect and mosquito bites, and hence it is advisable to use mosquito nets and repellents during this season.
A baby’s skin is extremely sensitive and prone to be easily affected by external weather conditions. Hence, make sure you use the right products like baby soap, baby massage oil, baby lotion, and others that are skin-friendly and gentle on your baby’s soft, supple, and sensitive skin. Every season brings in new joys and new challenges, but using the right baby products for your child’s delicate skin can keep them happy, healthy, and smiling.
A wide range of baby skincare products from Lotus Herbals are incredibly free of chemicals, made of natural ingredients, absolutely organic, and 100% safe for use during all seasons. As part of your baby’s skin protection regime, using these regularly can help protect your child’s skin under all weather conditions.