Breast augmentation is more than a cosmetic procedure; it’s a powerful way for women to embrace their feminine identity and boost their confidence.
Whether it’s to regain body proportionality after pregnancy or materialize a long-desired self-image, breast augmentation becomes a journey to reclaim self-control over your body. It’s a step towards self-love and affirmation.
In this guide, we enlighten you on breast augmentation in San Francisco, so you can understand what it can do for you. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Understanding Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that either boosts the fullness of the breasts or increases their shape and size. The process typically involves the insertion of implants beneath the breast tissue or the chest muscles.
Technological advancements have ushered in a variety of implant types and surgical techniques, making breast augmentation customizable to your needs.
The most common types of implants include:
- Silicone implants: These implants have a silicone shell filled with silicone gel. Silicone implants are known for providing a natural breast feel.
- Saline implants: These implants have a silicone shell filled with sterile saline (saltwater) solution. They can be adjusted more easily and generally have a lower risk of complications.
- Structured saline implants: These are like saline implants but have an inner structure, which helps the implant feel more like a natural breast.
- Gummy bear implants: These implants are made of a more cohesive silicone gel, maintaining their shape even when the implant shell is broken.
The best implant for you depends on personal preferences, body type, and the results you want. You should consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your expectations and learn more about the procedure.
What Can Breast Augmentation Accomplish?
A successful breast augmentation can do wonders for a woman’s body. The procedure can:
Bring balance to your body aesthetics, leading to a harmonious silhouette.
- Reconstruct breasts after a mastectomy or an injury.
- Restore volume lost due to aging, pregnancy, or significant weight loss.
- Improve self-image and bolster confidence.
What Surgical Techniques Are Used in Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation involves expert surgical techniques so you can get the outcome you desire. The surgery’s success relies heavily on the careful selection of incision locations and implant placement. Let’s delve deeper into these aspects:
In breast augmentation, the incision location is the entry point for introducing the implants. Each incision location comes with its unique advantages and considerations:
- Inframammary Incisions: Hidden in the natural crease under the breast, this incision allows precise placement of implants.
- Periareolar Incisions: This approach suggests an incision around the areola, resulting in less visible scarring.
- Axillary Incisions: Incisions in the armpit offer an aesthetically pleasing result with no scarring on the breast.
Transumbilical Incision (TUBA): With the incision located in the belly button and the implant tunneled up to the breast area, the TUBA method leaves no scars on the breasts.
The placement of the implant has a substantial influence on the look and feel of the augmented breast:
- Submuscular Placement: Underneath the chest muscle, this option offers a natural outcome while reducing the risk of certain complications.
- Subglandular or Submammary Placement: Positioned over the chest muscle, this method often ensures quicker recovery and considerably less postoperative discomfort.
- Subfascial Placement: Behind the tissue that covers the chest muscles, this technique provides an added layer of support for the implant’s longevity.
Each of these options has a vital role to play in your surgery’s success. Make sure to discuss these aspects with your plastic surgeon to land on the most suitable surgical technique for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do breast implants last?
On average, breast implants last between 10 to 20 years. However, the lifespan of an implant can vary based on the type and the individual’s health.
How soon can I exercise after the breast augmentation procedure?
Light activities are usually okay after a week, but rigorous exercises should be avoided for at least six weeks after the procedure.
Can I breastfeed after breast augmentation?
Yes, typically, breast augmentation does not affect your ability to breastfeed. However, it may affect your milk supply. It’s essential to discuss your plans for future pregnancies and breastfeeding with your surgeon.
Will breast augmentation help lift sagging breasts?
Breast augmentation is meant to increase the size and fullness of the breasts. For those dealing with sagging or drooping breasts, a combination of breast lift and augmentation may be recommended.
How does the breast tissue respond to breast augmentation?
Breast tissue typically stretches to accommodate the implant. However, the extent of this stretching depends on various factors, including the size of the implant, the patient’s age, and the elasticity of the skin.
What is the difference between round and anatomical (teardrop) implants?
Round implants tend to offer more fullness to the upper breast, while anatomical implants, also known as teardrop implants, provide a more natural slope and are often used in breast reconstruction.