Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery that removes unwanted fat from specific areas of your body. It’s also called lipoplasty, lipo, or body contouring. Though liposuction is not a weight-loss treatment, it can help improve the counters or shape of your body.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Liposuction
If lifestyle changes, such as diet and exercise, have not achieved your desired results, you can opt for liposuction. It’s, however, essential to note that the lipo procedure does not provide any physical health benefits. It’s mainly to help improve your appearance. Here are other benefits of liposuction:
- Refines your figure: Liposuction removes excess fat to create firmer and smoother body contours. It can improve your body shape to highlight the definition of your hips, buttocks, neck, abdomen, and thighs.
- Improves your confidence: People who struggle to eliminate excess fat to no avail tend to be self-conscious or insecure about their appearance. After liposuction, you’ll look slimmer and more attractive, making you feel more comfortable in your skin, consequently improving your confidence and self-esteem.
- Reduces stress: Though lipo is not a weight-loss procedure, it can help remove stubborn fat from specific areas of your body. This can encourage you to continue living a healthy lifestyle to lose more weight, reducing stress on you and your body.
- Treats excessive sweating: If you experience excessive sweating, a dermatologist can remove the excess fat in your armpits. This removes most of the sweat glands, providing a permanent solution.
- Treats gynecomastia: gynecomastia is a condition where fat accumulates under a man’s breast. Liposuction can help remove the excess breast tissue.
What to Expect With Liposuction
Before the procedure, you may undergo several health tests to ensure you’re fit for the surgery. The doctor may also recommend several things, such as:
- Taking iron supplements if you have anemia
- Avoiding contraceptive pills
- Avoid the use of anti-inflammatory drugs a few weeks before the surgery
You will also need to sign a consent form to confirm that you know the risks of undergoing the procedure.
You’ll be under local or general anesthesia during the surgery to numb the pain. After the procedure, expect to feel some pain, soreness, swelling, and bruising. The procedure can take several hours, depending on what parts of your body require liposuction or how much fat is getting removed. You can minimize pain after the procedure by:
- Drinking fluids
- Taking prescribed medications, such as painkillers
- Avoiding salt to reduce or avoid swelling
Wearing compression garments to minimize swelling and protect your new contours
You can expect to see results after several weeks or months. Typically, the swelling can take a few weeks to heal, and the treated area may take several months to look slimmer. The results can last a long time, but you must watch your diet and exercise regularly to maintain weight.
Frequently Asked Questions on Liposuction
Here are some of the frequently asked questions on liposuction:
What’s the cost of liposuction in Beverly Hills?
Liposuction cost in Beverly Hills varies based on various factors, such as surgical fees, anesthesia fees, and the technique used. Consider discussing the cost with your surgeon before the procedure.
What are the risks associated with liposuction techniques?
Like any other surgery, there are several risks associated with liposuction, including:
- Heart and kidney problems
- Fluid buildup
- Damage to abdominal organs, nerves, and muscles
- Fat embolism
- Baggy skin
- Changes to skin color
- Lidocaine toxicity
Are the liposuction results permanent?
No. Though the fat cells are removed permanently during the procedure, new fat cells can grow if you regain weight. Consider following a healthy diet and exercising regularly to maintain your new body shape and size. It’s also important to note that the procedure doesn’t remove stretch marks or cellulite.
Who’s the right candidate for the procedure?
To qualify for a liposuction procedure, you must at least be:
- A nonsmoker
- An adult with overall good health
- A person with firm, elastic skin
- An adult with slightly above average weight
- A person with pockets of fat in certain areas of your body
- Adult with realistic expectations of the procedure
What are some of the liposuction techniques?
There are various types of liposuction techniques, including:
- Tumescent technique: This is the most common technique involving injecting a sterile solution into the fatty area. The solution consists of lidocaine, saline, and epinephrine to shrink the capillaries and numb the area, making it easier to suction the fat.
- Power-assisted liposuction: This technique uses a stainless-steel tool to break the fat. This procedure is more precise and easier.
- Suction-assisted liposuction: This is a traditional technique. It involves using a vacuum to remove the excess fat from your body.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction: This technique uses ultrasonic energy to break the fat cell walls. This liquefies the fats, making it easier to suction them out.