If you are here, it means you are suffering from neck pain or you may know someone who is going through this pain. You may also have visited a chiropractic care center. However, you need not worry. You have come to the right place. We have mentioned different causes, home remedies, and treatments for neck pain. This will help you immensely and provide you with appropriate knowledge.
What is Neck Pain?
Neck pain occurs when the area below your skull till the upper torso faces strains or sprains. There are various reasons for it. The neck is made of vertebrae that extend from the skull to the upper torso. When this area is affected through abnormalities, injury, or inflammation, it hurts. However, it can be due to various reasons. Some neck pains can easily fade in a few days. However, if the pain remains for many days, there might be serious problems too. Getting chiropractic treatment is one of the best ways to treat neck pain.
What are the Causes of Neck Pain?
There are various causes of neck pain. Some of them are mentioned below.
Muscle Strain and Tension
People experience neck pain mostly due to this reason. The strain and tension in the neck can be due to various reasons.
- Working in one place without changing position.
- Poor Posture.
- Neck getting strained while sleeping.
- Jerking of the neck while performing exercises.
The neck is one of the most prone areas to injury, especially during car accidents, falls, and sports. This is because the muscles and ligaments of the neck are forced to move during these situations. The spinal cord might also get damaged if the neck bones get fractured or sprained.
Severe neck pain, in some cases, may also indicate a heart attack. However, a heart attack has many other symptoms of a heart attack. So, you should visit chiropractic care immediately if you are facing serious neck pains consistently.
Apart from these causes, there are various other causes as well. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Neck pain can also be a result of rheumatoid arthritis along with stiffness and swelling of joints.
- Muscle pain, especially in the neck, can be a common occurrence if one is suffering from fibromyalgia.
- The cervical discs can also degenerate as one grows older. This is because the joints contract. This causes neck pain.
- A ruptured or slipped disk after a trauma or injury is also a common cause of neck pain.
What Are Some Home Remedies to Treat Neck Pain?
You should get yourself chiropractic treatment if you are facing serious neck pain problems. However, if you are facing minor strain in your neck, you can use simple home remedies. If you want to get rid of stiffness or minor strain on your neck, follow the below-mentioned home remedies.
- You should apply an ice pack to your neck for a few days. If the pain still exists, switch to a hot pack. Use it as a hot pad or compress to the affected area. Taking a hot shower also helps.
- Painkillers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen are also some effective ways to get rid of neck pain.
- You should avoid performing heavy exercises for a few days. When you get back to it, start from the beginning to avoid stress.
- Perform exercises for your neck every day. Perform lightweight exercises like slowly rotating your neck or moving it from one side to the other.
- Maintain a good posture throughout your day.
- Do not sit or stand in one single position. Keep on changing your position.
- Using a special pillow for your neck also helps.
- You can try sleeping without pillows.
- Avoid using shoulder or neck collars without prescription from professionals. This is because using them can worsen your pain if not used properly.
- Phones should not be cradled between the neck and shoulder.
What is the best time to see a Doctor?
There are various other symptoms apart from neck pain, that can lead you to believe you need a doctor. You should follow these symptoms seriously and go to a doctor if any of these symptoms exist.
- Severe neck pain without cause
- Swollen joints or glands
- Inability to move your muscles or joints
What Are Some Treatments to treat Neck Pain?
Visiting chiropractic care or other professionals is the best idea if you think that the home remedies are not working for you. The doctor will perform a proper physical exam and will look at your previous medical history. To get the possible treatment, you should be able to tell all the symptoms properly to your doctor. The treatment of neck pain depends on the diagnosis by the doctor. There might be various tests that the doctor can conduct for better clarity about the problems.
- Blood Tests
- MRI Scans
- CT Scans
- Lumbar Puncture
These are some tests that the doctor can ask you to perform as these will help in detecting the problem specifically.
The doctor will then refer you to a specialist and will treat you according to the diagnosis that has been made. Neck pain can be treated in various ways. Some common ways through which professionals treat neck pain are mentioned below.
- Therapy through ice and heat
- Physical therapies, exercises, and stretching.
- Corticosteroid injections
- Neck collar
- Surgery (this takes place in extreme cases only)
- Antibiotics in case there is an infection
- Muscle relaxants
- Hospital treatment
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
These were the various treatments that professionals use to treat neck pain. However, using both home remedies and professional treatments is only beneficial if you accurately describe your symptoms. If your neck pain can be treated at home, you should use home remedies. If the pain remains, visiting professionals is the best idea. You should be aware of when to visit a doctor. According to your diagnosis, the doctor will refer to the perfect treatment for you. He can also refer to you for chiropractic treatment to ensure the best treatment for you.